Kenya’s top driver and Safari Rally champion Carl Tundo has pulled out of the York Rally, the third round of the Africa Rally Championship (ARC), which will take place on April 19-21 in Mpumalanga, South Africa. Tundo, who is eyeing his maiden win in the continental competition, said failure to secure sponsorship have forced him out of the event.
However, Kenyan driver Pierro Cannobio and his navigator Silvia Fringo, have been confirmed for the rally, a two-day event, which consists of 14 competitive races covering a distance of 221 kilometers.
“Gary Chaynes and Carl Tundo, who won in Ivory Coast and Kenya respectively will however not compete,” ARC organizers said in a statement on Saturday.
Chaynes is the 2014 African Rally champion and won the first round of the 2018 circuit in Ivory Coast in February. Tundo cruised to victory in the second round in Nairobi’s Safari rally.
The African Rally Championship is divided in two regions – North which has Ivory Coast, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and the South with rallies in Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa and Madagascar.
Over 30 crews are expected to take on the York Rally. Reigning champion Manvir Baryan will be making his debut in South Africa with hopes of re-igniting his ARC title defense. Baryan and co-driver Drew Sturrock have not scored any points so far.
Other drivers to look out for are Leroy Gomes and his brother Kleevan Gomes from Zambia, who will be running in South Africa for the first time.
The York Rally will also give Kenyan drivers Piero Connobio and Silvia Frigo their debut show in South Africa as they eye maximum points in the ARC.